Font Size



Menu Style


Wat Chedi Liem

Wat Chedi Liem (originally known as Wat Ku Kham) is located in the ruined ancient city of Wiang Kum Kham which originally served as King Mengrai's Capital City until severe flooding forced him to change his Capital to Chiang Mai. The original name was Wat Ku Kham. Restoration of the old city was begun in 1980.

Built originally around 1286 the main feature of this temple is a Haripunchai style Chedi with five tiers. Buddha images are placed in niches on each tier. The temple was renovated in 1908 by a Burmese merchant and so much of the decoration is in the Burmese style.

The best way to see Wat Chedi Liem and indeed all the main ruins of the ancient city is by horse drawn carriage available for hire at the temple. The trip takes about an hour and costs 200 Baht per person.

Wat Chedi Liem is located off Koh Klang Road

Photo By John Glines

Comments (0)

Cancel or


lamphun-wat phra that hariphunchai-01     
       ited in mid-town, Wat Phra That Hariphunchai was built during the reign of King Arthitayarat, a descendant of Queen Chamthewi some 800 years ago.A principal landmark is the 46-metre tall golden Chedi which contains a hair of the Lord Buddha, having nine-tiered umbrella, made of gold weighing approximately 6,498.75 grams...

Chiang Rai

      on the bank of the Kok River within town area, contains what is believed to be the oldest Holy Relic even before King Mengrai built Chiang Rai. Doi Chom Thong has been a sacred site for aextremely long time. The site was surely reverenced as the home of local spirits before Buddhism arrived in the area.

You are here: Home Wats - Temples Wat Chedi Liem