Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Menu Style

Cpanel
http://a.northernthailand.com/modules/mod_image_show_gk4/cache/banners.slide.sopmoeiartsbannergk-is-107.jpglink
http://a.northernthailand.com/modules/mod_image_show_gk4/cache/banners.slide.tw-ad-bannergk-is-107.giflink
«
»
Loading…

Wat Chiang Man

The temple of Wat Chiang Man was the first royal temple in Chiang Mai it was built in 1256-1297CE  it longest surviving structure is the Chang Lom Chedi which design most likely came from Pagan as the Burmese influence was great back then. Being built by King Mangrai of the first king to rule Chiang Mai.  . The name "Chiang Man" means "City Stable or unmovable" which considering is Chiang Mai had just had to be relocated may be a good name for the new city's Royal temple.
The stone stela at the ubosot was inscribed in 1581 CE, and is one of the oldest known records that establishes the founding date of Chiang Mai.

Wat Chiang Man has two Lanna style  main halls called viharns . The larger viharn was rebuilt by Khru Ba Srividya in the 1920's AD . The standing Buddha image (front right of the altar) has an inscription on its slightly lopsided square base that dates it to 1465 CE. This makes it the oldest dated Buddha image to be found so far in Chiang Mai. Restoration in the past make the image appear newer than it real age.
The smaller viharn (hall) to the north (right side facing them) contains The Phra Sila  Buddha image is a bas-relief that probably came from Ceylon  about 2500 years ago . The Statue  is believed to have the ability to bring rain and is the center point of a SongKran festival in the early part of April each year.
The Phra Sae Tang Khamani crystal Buddha image belonged to Queen Chamadevi, who brought it from ( Lavo) Lop Buri when she became the first ruler of Haripunchai.1800 years ago.
In spite of it fame and recent influx of upgrading and welcoming of paved parking and commerce the temple still has its relaxed atmosphere with dogs and tuk tuk drivers hanging around.

Comments (0)

Cancel or

Lamphang

lamphun-wat phra that hariphunchai-01     
       ited in mid-town, Wat Phra That Hariphunchai was built during the reign of King Arthitayarat, a descendant of Queen Chamthewi some 800 years ago.A principal landmark is the 46-metre tall golden Chedi which contains a hair of the Lord Buddha, having nine-tiered umbrella, made of gold weighing approximately 6,498.75 grams...

Chiang Rai

      on the bank of the Kok River within town area, contains what is believed to be the oldest Holy Relic even before King Mengrai built Chiang Rai. Doi Chom Thong has been a sacred site for aextremely long time. The site was surely reverenced as the home of local spirits before Buddhism arrived in the area.

You are here: Home Wats - Temples Wat Chiang Man